Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Difference An Hour Can Make

Truthfully, this post should be titled 'The Difference 3 Ounces of Tequila and a Half Ounce of Grand Marinier Can Make'. About an hour ago, I was feeling very creative, a little introspective, and peaceful, for lack of a better word. Therein lies the problem. One Double Margarita, and One Special Margarita later, I have a lack of better words. I'm feeling a little more relaxed, but my brain feels constricted. I recall what I wanted to post about, but I don't know if I'm capable of actually getting the words out. Let's try, shall we? I can't let the stress take me down.

I was thinking about when I first wanted to write, and I was shocked to discover it was in grade school. My best school work was done via essays with my own illustrations. In Junior High, I took creative writing classes and art classes and, needless to say, that was where the rubber met the road. I excelled in the writing class and barely passed art.

Nowadays, I feel repressed and... dare I say it... afraid to write. I have no idea how one gets to this point in their lives, but I have this unexpressed part of myself. I don't know if it's because I think I'm a crap writer, or if I have too many other unexpressed issues, but it really does look like I'm *GASP*... blocked.

I know, I know, that is a fictitious state of being, but I don't know what else to call it. I did discover something this year, though.

I am a kick-ass editor. AND I LOVE IT. I can proofread circles around folks, and I have a wonderful enough grasp of the english language to know when you've screwed up. I still adhere to the idea that I probably cannot edit myself a fraction as well, and will be procuring an editor for my own future work, but I can read anything in the english language, and make it better.

It's like that commercial, 'we don't make the plastic you use, we make it better'. I can do that with your web content, I can do that as your beta-reader, I can do that with your ebook.

But, I have no degree, and no portfolio to speak of. So would I hire me? Probably not. I have submitted an offer to a website that I respect; one that had a definite issue, so we'll see if I can get my start somewhere.

So am I crazy? I mean, who loves editing? Who can do a better job than spell-check in most cases? What kind of literary maniac knows that your punctuation, or lack thereof, bites?

I know, it's just me. But in that case, I've got a corner on the market, baby! And looks like neither hell, nor excessive tequila can stop me! Sweet!

Just promise me that tomorrow you will NOT tell me how many times I insisted that I love you, man. No really, I love you.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post, mostly because it sounds so much like me. :-)

    You don't need a degree to be an editor, just a good eye and a firm grasp of the English language. I started out editing/proof reading university papers and worked my way up to becoming an editorial assistant in an independent developmental editing house.

    If editing is what you'd like to do (along with your writing) I'm living proof that it can be done. I say, go for it!

    ReplyDelete